February 20, 2010
- Empty the recycle bin.
- Delete all temporary files.
- Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Internet Options
- Click ‘Delete Cookies’
- Click ‘Delete Files’
- Check the box labeled ‘Delete all offline content’
- Click ‘OK’
- Delete all old .zip files
- Run windows/microsoft updates.
Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsupdate.
- Update your antivirus and anti-spyware definitions and run scans at least twice a month.
- Open My Computer
- Right-clicking the C: Drive
- Select properties
- Click on the tools tab
- Clean your screen, keyboard, mouse, and the inside of your computer (if you have a desktop) regularly to keep dust from messing up your system.
- Make sure your hardware is working properly.
If you have not used the CD/DVD drive in a long time, test it by running a CD and/or a DVD in the drive.
- Run Disk Cleanup:
- Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup
There are also some software solutions that will automate many of those processes for you.
- CCleaner is a freeware system optimisation and privacy tool that erases all Internet history from different browsers and other unused files. It also cleans up orphaned registry entries on Windows computers.
- Or you can get a toolkit such as Tech Toolkit that comes bundled with the following applications:
- Antivir Personal – one of the top rated free antiviruses
- AppCrashView – reads application crash info from .wer files (W.E.R = Windows Error Reporting) Windows Vista, 7, and 2008
- App Remover – Removes antivirus/spyware/malware programs
- Autoruns – shows you everything that starts with your computer in registry,startup folders,services
and allows you to remove or disable them
- BlueScreenView – scans all your minidump files created during blue screen of death crashes, and displays
the information about all crashes in one table.
- CrystalDiskInfo – S.M.A.R.T./health information about your hard drive
- Defraggler – defrag your entire hard drive, or individual files
- Device Doctor – finds outdated drivers and updates Windows XP, Vista, & Windows 7 Drivers Automatically
- DevManView – an alternative to the standard Device Manager of Windows
- ERunt – Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP
- FixWin – utility to repair & fix Windows 7 & Vista problems & annoyances
- GPU-Z – utility designed to give you all information about your video card and GPU.
- HWMonitor – hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages,
temperatures, fans speed.
- JKDefrag – disk defragger
- Kaspersky Removal- Scans and removes viruses
- LSPFix – fixes loss of Internet access caused by buggy or improperly removed software or viruses.
- MemTest – RAM/Memory Tester
- NTRegOpt – Registry Optimization for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP
- PCDecrapifier – cleans the preinstalled crap from brand new computers
- Revo Uninstaller- uninstalls programs and removes left over entries that are left behind
- ShareEnum – Enumerate shares on the network
- SIW – generate complete system report on hardware/software/network
- Sysinpector – diagnostic tool
- Unknown Devices – helps you find what those unknown devices in Device Manager really are
- Windows Update Fix – utility will re-register the files, required for the proper functioning of Windows Updates.
- winfo – super small app to get quick system info from the computer